- What type of cut is used in the razor sequence in Un Chein Andalou?
There is a cutaway and match cut used.
- Why was animation used in ‘Waltz with Bashir’?
To create a dream or memory. By using animation, he was able to blur the destinction between reality and dreams.
- What was unconventional about Andy Warhol’s 1964 film Blowjob?
- It was one long uncut take
- It was silent
- The entire film was about getting a blowjob.
- Provide an example of how Jean Luc Godard subverted cinematic conventions?
He played with the relationship between sound and image, as well as used jump cuts and long shots to tell a narrative.
- Name the philosophy that influenced many French New Wave Films?
- What is this image referring to?
Kuleshov Effect – where viewers derive more meaning from the interaction of two sequential shots than from a single shot in isolation.
- Which of Eisenstein’s 5 methods of montage can be found in the sex scene from Delicatessen
There is evidence of all of Eisenstein’s methods of montage.
- The illusion of the larger interior in Doctor Who’s Tardis is an example of what montage techniques?
- How do we distinguish between hard and soft light?
“hard light” has more sharp lines between the shadows, whereas soft light has a soft gradation between the light and the shadow.
- Describe a characteristic of Italian Neo-realist cinema
- It was all about realism, real people, working class, the use of non-actors. It really took away the Hollywood glamour.
- They used lower budgets so they shot on location, natural lighting etc.
- What was unusual about the colour correction process for O Brother Where Art Thou (2000)
It was the first feature film to be entirely digitally corrected.
- What chniques were used to make Bird Man look like it was a single take?
- Hidden cuts
- Whip pans
- Digital stitching
- Who wrote the following? “Freed from the boundaries of time and space, I coordinate any and all points of the universe, wherever I want them to be. My was leads towards the creation of a fresh perception of the world. Thus I explain in a new way the world unknown to you.”
This was said by Dziga Vertov in relation to the keno eye cameras perspective.
- What was the inspiration for the framing of Elephant (2003)
The framing of the video game tomb rader
- What is the name of the camera movement in the opening shot of Cowboys & Aliens (2011)?
- How is the following effect achieved?
- what did Thomas edisons zonograph do?
Recorded and played back sound
- what is non-diegetic sound
sound that doesn’t directly come from what’s in the video/the story space. E.g. haunting sound effects, the score.
- Explain what is happening here?
John cage 4.33 – all sound is music, listening to your environment
- How did David Attenborough capture the baby iguana fleeing the snake pit scene?
He used a bunch of baby iguanas to get the right shot.